I identify opportunities to blend customer needs and technology capability to deliver business benefit - with a particular focus on the transport sector.
I bring both strategic thinking and the ability to understand important details – often in the early stages of projects or transformation programmes
Through F17 I have worked on projects including:
- Ticketing strategy for Rail Delivery Group developing the roadmap for smart ticketing on National Rail;
- Account based smart ticketing for Transport for the North ( 'Pay as you go' as it is generally known) identifying and addressing the issues needed to bring the proposition to National Rail;
- Rail fares policy development for Rail North - helping develop a fares policy to meet strategic aims;
- MaaS ('Mobility as a Service') start-up advising on a range of issues to offer a multi-modal app to consumers.
Prior to establishing F17, I spent nearly 8 years as part of the senior team at thetrainline.com, through a period of intensive growth - shaping product direction and overseeing product delivery across a wide range of areas.
Although projects often report at board level, I am equally comfortable liaising with developers, talking directly to customers or working with front line staff.
To discuss how F17 might be able to help you - please contact me:
In addition to myself, I have built a network of others that I can draw upon where appropriate.
Interesting opportunities always welcomed - from short-term and part-time opportunities, through to medium term interim work.
A selection of the themes I've worked on are listed below.
- Implementing digital / ecommerce best practice: usability; web analytics, campaign management, retargeting, attribution, multi-variate testing, big(ish) data
- Top ranking native mobile apps, responsive web
- SEO, PPC, display, network advertising, retargeting, attribution, affiliates, social media
- Digital ticketing – mobile ticket, barcode, smartcard, NFC
- Payments – debit/credit card, PayPal, digital wallets, mobile payments, contactless, fraud management
- Establishing efficient, well motivated, cross-functional product development processes
- Agile (and Scrum, Lean and Kanban), product aligned cross-functional teams, implementing dev-ops. Continuous integration, Continuous deployment.
- Automated testing, automated deployment. User stories. In-house on-shore; outsourced off-shore. Real-time performance & KPI monitoring.
- Blending basic, progressive, and transformational changes into optimal backlog
- Recruiting, leading and motivating various teams, aligning accountability and autonomy
- A wide range of public transport and rail specific domain experience - particularly around ticketing, fares and retail;
- A good understanding of industry structure, political context, suppliers and other parties;
- Fares strategy, fares structure, fare setting processes - and sales reporting (including LENNON data);
- Reservations and revenue management;
- Ticketing - including mobile ticketing, barcode, smartcard, ITSO, account based ticketing and 'Pay as you Go';
- Rail data feeds, ticketing, real-time information, industry systems.
- Leading and supporting numerous tenders for new business & renewal
- Supporting IPO preparation; PE sale; refinancing
- Working with government and politicians to help influence execution of government policy
- Native mobile apps & responsive web - iOS, Android, Bootstrap
- Virtualisation and cloud readiness
- Designing for scale, high availability, transactional systems, fail-safe and supportability
- Publishing all key functionality through APIs; consuming APIs
- Portalised configurable platform delivered as multiple brands
- Complete platform refresh transitioning to on-going refresh
- Security best practice, PCI-DSS implementation, DDoS management
- Performance monitoring & management; proactive capacity planning